Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Aquarium Cabinet to Chic TV and Media Stand

My old neighbor offered this blue cabinet to me from his garage as he was making his last trip from the old house. I was hesitant for a moment I wasn't even sure what the purpose of the cabinet was, I have decided now that it may have been an aquarium stand. This cabinet was very sturdy I think and elephant could stand on it...LOL. Anyway back to the story, I took it and later I actually thought about just donating it to a thriftstore. One of my clients had stopped by to look at paint swatches for some side tables and took notice to this cabinet and inquired about it. She had a 60" Flat Screen that needed something Shabulous to sit on. So I began the transformation.

I forgot to take a snapshot at the very beginning so this was taken after I had began. It had Ultra Gloss Paint on it. These big chunky square knobs came off for good and were replaced later with knobs that were very similar to those on her side tables. I didn't get a pic but the cabinet had really short legs on it which made cabinet sit very low to ground. The client decided that she would really prefer stand to be around 24" tall. We chopped down the old feet and installed these cute legs that I picked up at the ReStore it is an outlet/thrift store that sells used and surplus building materials at a fraction of the cost. You can see in this pic below what the legs looked like before they cut down. I will be honest I can run some power tools and I try to be really independent, but having a cute carpenter boyfriend really has its advantages!!! Mike cut these down and installed new legs for me. I also had him install some trim across the lower portion of cabinet in front and on sides. The trim was purchased at the Restore as well . I just love that place!!!

Then of course the paint..... I chose Versailles from Annie Sloan Chalk Paint I recommend this  product to anyone out there that is painting furniture it is a wonderful wonderful paint!!! The transformation was amazing!!!!
I wanted to give proper storage to media cabinet so large holes were drilled into the back of the cabinet to accommodate electrical plugs and cables from components.
I distressed edges to allow blue to show through. The end tables I had previously done for her were blue and I just knew this would be a great way to tie the pieces together, along with the simple brown knobs that are very similar to the other tables.
I love the finished look and my client was so excited she drove over to look at them before the wax dried...LOL. It makes me feel good when the client is just as pleased as I am! 
After talking with my very intelligent and wonderful friend Monica we realized this project could be duplicated very easily with small upper kitchen cabinets. Cant you see it??? HMMM I think I need to go check Craiglist. LOL



  






2 comments: